A bass is the type of male singing voice which has the lowest vocal range of all voice types. A bass is typically classified as having a range extending from around the second F below middle C to the E above middle C. Its tessitura, or comfortable range, is normally defined by the outermost lines of the bass clef.
Bass Roles in OperaEdit
Basso cantante/lyric high bass/lyric bass-baritone
Basso cantante means "singing bass". Basso cantante is a higher, more lyrical voice.
- The King of Scotland, Ariodante by George Frideric Handel===Hoher Bass/dramatic high bass/dramatic bass-baritone===
Hoher Bass or "high bass" or often a dramatic bass-baritone
Jugendlicher Bass denotes the role of a young man sung by a bass, regardless of the age of the singer.
Buffo, literally "funny", basses are lyrical roles that demand from their practitioners a solid coloratura technique, a capacity for patter singing and ripe tonal qualities if they are to be brought off to maximum effect. They are usually the blustering antagonist of the hero/heroine or the comic-relief fool in bel cantooperas.
- Don Pasquale, Don Pasquale (Gaetano Donizetti)
- Dottor Dulcamara, L'elisir d'amore by Gaetano Donizetti
- Don Bartolo, The Barber of Seville by Gioachino Rossini
- Don Magnifico, La Cenerentola by Gioachino Rossini
- Don Alfonso, Così fan tutte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Leporello, Don Giovanni by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
English equivalent: dramatic bass
Basso profondo (lyric low bass), is the lowest bass voice type. According to J. B. Steane in Voices, Singers & Critics, the basso profondo voice "derives from a method of tone-production that eliminates the more Italian quick vibrato. In its place is a kind of tonal solidity, a wall-like front, which may nevertheless prove susceptible to the other kind of vibrato, the slow beat or dreaded wobble."
English equivalent: dramatic low bass. Dramatic basso profondo is a powerful basso profondo voice.
- Il Commendatore, Don Giovanni by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Hagen, Götterdämmerung by Richard Wagner
- Heinrich, Lohengrin by Richard Wagner
- Gurnemanz, Parsifal by Richard Wagner
- Fafner, Das Rheingold and Siegfried by Richard Wagner
- Marke, Tristan und Isolde by Richard Wagner
- Hunding, Die Walküre by Richard Wagner
- The Varangian (Viking) Guest, Sadko by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
- The Grand Inquisitor, Don Carlo by Giuseppe Verdi
- Claggart, Billy Budd (opera) by Benjamin Britten
Write the second section of your article here.